Selecting a suitable program and navigating the university application process has become increasingly stressful. From choosing the most fitting schools to preparing for standardized tests, and telling your unique story, the college admission process can be all-encompassing for both the student as well as those surrounding them. Adding to the stresses are the somewhat overwhelming statistics that convey the seriousness and competitiveness of the applicant body. The 2017 applicant pool for each the Ivy League universities exceeded 30,000 students; the acceptance rate also remains staggeringly low with many in mid-single digits. More than ever before, delivering a prominent application is pivotal to having the highest probable rate of success.
"...how you convey your story can drastically impact the perception of your candidacy to the admissions committee."
While you and your efforts are the only means for your admission to your university of choice, how you convey your story can drastically impact the perception of your candidacy to the admissions committee. At Sia, we coach the student through the admissions process, helping craft a unique story that weaves the student’s characteristics into the fabric of the university’s admissions criteria, be those spoken or unspoken.
What to expect:
Our process involves getting to know each of our students so that we may coach them in all areas of the application process. The client works with one counselor from the beginning of the application process until the end. The initial meeting involves ascertaining the student’s aspirations and working towards communicating them to the admissions committee. At times these goals are vague, therefore, the initial session aims at gaining clarity of direction as well as crafting a plan of action. The plan may involve:
- Coaching the student through the research process as well as helping compile a list of suitable universities that match the student's aspirations.
- Narrowing down the list of colleges to a manageable focus list
- Brainstorming approaches that address the personal statement ideas while navigating the school's requirements
- Crafting a plan of action with reasonable deadlines
- Consistent communication with detailed feedback for all revisions, until the student is prepared to submit
- Editing the final draft
- Fashioning a complete application that is reflective of both the student’s merits as well as aspirations
- Coaching on appropriately approaching the student’s references, and any other documents pertinent to the application process